Estimate of number of MapServer installations and applications?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Apr 17 16:09:22 EDT 2006

Hi Steve,

Yup - it's a big number, but it became apparrent when we started looking
at how much MapServer was being used without an associated user ever
subscribing to the direct MapServer mailing list due to:

1. Embedded in Client Tools (chameleon, ka-map, maplab, mapbender,
etc..) where users may not subscribe to MS list
2. Culture/Language differences, driving non-english speaking users away
from the list
3. Embedded in commercial solutions that get deployed without any
associated user
4. Customers who purchase full web mapping solutions from a
developer/consultant and don't engage in the technology
5. High volume list deters some users from subscribing

There are many other drivers as well.

All of these contribute to MapServer installations around the world
without an associated 'user' subscribing to the mailing list.

By installations -- we mean # of machines MapServer is installed on.

Dave