PNG24 output and GDAL dependency?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Apr 26 12:36:41 EDT 2006

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> okay, basically what we are trying to do is have a minimal PHP/Mapscript
> which can only act as a WMS client. So the 24 bit images are already
> received from the WMS services, and only need to be merged into 1 image.
>
> But I guess there is no 'escaping' GDAL for that use case (btw I don't
> mean anything negative with escaping GDAL, but we want to have a really
> minimal setup for this).

Bart,

Well, it isn't implausible to imagine fixing up the built-in png, gif and
jpeg support to handle 24bit mode.  They definately will not support
reprojection without a major overhaul.  But Steve and I have generally not
felt that it is worth spending much effort on the old non-GDAL raster input
sources.  So if you, or someone feels a minimal build for such a configuration
is valuable, there would be some development work to be done.

I quite understand about a minimal build. GDAL is a big whack of stuff.  If
size is a major issue there are ways of building "pared down" GDAL's.  But
that doesn't help much if simplicity is your main goal.

Best regards,