[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer with MapInfo (WFS)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Apr 27 09:36:56 EDT 2006

Léveillé wrote:
> Hi Frank - thanks for the answer ...
> Here are some more details ...
>
> === Here is the DescribeFeatureType :
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
> - <schema targetNamespace="http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver"
> xmlns:ms="http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver"
> xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
> xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" elementFormDefault="qualified"
> version="0.1">
>   <import namespace="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
> schemaLocation="http://schemas.opengeospatial.net/gml/2.1.2/feature.xsd" />
>   <element name="Reseau_routier_MTQ" type="ms:Reseau_routier_MTQType"
> substitutionGroup="gml:_Feature" />
> - <complexType name="Reseau_routier_MTQType">
> - <complexContent>
> - <extension base="gml:AbstractFeatureType">
> - <sequence>
>   <element name="msGeometry" type="gml:GeometryPropertyType" minOccurs="0"
> maxOccurs="1" />
>   <element name="IDE_SOUS_ROUTE" type="string" />
>   </sequence>
>   </extension>
>   </complexContent>
>   </complexType>
>   </schema>

James,

I don't see any obvious problem with the above feature type response though
I'm no WFS or GML guru.  You might want to quote it in any future email
to the mapserver list or MapInfo support.

> === Here is some more info I found on specifications:
>
> - In MapInfo v8 documentation, it is written that this version of the WFS
> client supports GML2 (OGC GML V2.1.1).
> - For MapServer, OGC Specifications supported by MapServer are Web Feature
> Service (OGC:WFS) 1.0.0 and Geography Markup Language (OGC:GML 2.1.2,
> OGC:GML 3.1.0 Level 0 Profile)

This all seems pretty compatible.

> === I also found this (in MapInfo Documentation) regarding the two errors I
> had:
> SECOND ERROR: In response to a DescribeFeatureType request, the WFS Server
> returned an invalid feature type.

It would be nice to know why it is considered invalid.  Perhaps you can
provide the DescribeFeatureType response and the url to the service to
MapInfo support for comment.

> === Finally:
> - I'm just trying to connect in "read-only" mode, not transactional.
> - I also tested GeoMediaPro as a WFS client and I got a "Feature Identifier
> 'fid' is not defined in the data" error. I'm in touch with people from
> Intergraph regarding this problem.

The fid problem *might* be something that should be fixed in MapServer.

Best regards,