[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer with MapInfo (WFS)

Léveillé, James James.Leveille at MTQ.GOUV.QC.CA
Thu Apr 27 08:40:14 EDT 2006

Hi Frank - thanks for the answer ...
Here are some more details ...

=== Here is the DescribeFeatureType :

- <schema targetNamespace="http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver"
xmlns:ms="http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver"
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" elementFormDefault="qualified"
version="0.1">
  <import namespace="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
schemaLocation="http://schemas.opengeospatial.net/gml/2.1.2/feature.xsd" />
  <element name="Reseau_routier_MTQ" type="ms:Reseau_routier_MTQType"
substitutionGroup="gml:_Feature" />
- <complexType name="Reseau_routier_MTQType">
- <complexContent>
- <extension base="gml:AbstractFeatureType">
- <sequence>
  <element name="msGeometry" type="gml:GeometryPropertyType" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="1" />
  <element name="IDE_SOUS_ROUTE" type="string" />
  </sequence>
  </extension>
  </complexContent>
  </complexType>
  </schema>

=== Here is some more info I found on specifications:

- In MapInfo v8 documentation, it is written that this version of the WFS
client supports GML2 (OGC GML V2.1.1).
- For MapServer, OGC Specifications supported by MapServer are Web Feature
Service (OGC:WFS) 1.0.0 and Geography Markup Language (OGC:GML 2.1.2,
OGC:GML 3.1.0 Level 0 Profile)

=== I also found this (in MapInfo Documentation) regarding the two errors I
had:

FIRST ERROR: The WMS Server returned data which was neither in the requested
format nor a recognized WMS service exception: <message from server>
DESCRIPTION : The raw data following the colon is transmitted by the WMS
server. This may help you analyze the problem.The exception message from the
server could not be understood. For example, the exception message may not
have been in XML format.

SECOND ERROR: In response to a DescribeFeatureType request, the WFS Server
returned an invalid feature type.
This message is usually preceded by either another MapInfo error message or
raw data transmitted by the WFS server. This may help you analyze the
problem.

=== Finally:
- I'm just trying to connect in "read-only" mode, not transactional.
- I also tested GeoMediaPro as a WFS client and I got a "Feature Identifier
'fid' is not defined in the data" error. I'm in touch with people from
Intergraph regarding this problem.

Just to let you know that MapInfo works GREAT as a WMS client (not yet as a
WFS client). I tested Udig, GAIA, GeoMediaPro, quickWMS and a few other WMS
clients, but MapInfo was the fastest ...

I'll keep working on all this. It HAS TO WORK !!!

Thanks for your help.

James Léveillé

Intélec Géomatique
420, boul. Charest Est