Learning WFS

Chip Taylor work at XWB.COM
Thu Apr 27 11:40:02 EDT 2006

I am beginning to learn WFS and have had some success in setting up a WFS
server using MapServer 4.6.1 under IIS6 and then accessing it.  However, I
am not able to get "gml_include_items" to work.  Here is my WFS server
layer:

#####################################
# WFS States
#
LAYER
     NAME "states"
     METADATA
	"wfs_title"		"States"
	"gml_include_items"	"STATE"
     END
       DATA "US/States/statesp020"
     STATUS ON
     TYPE polygon
     DUMP TRUE
     PROJECTION
	"init=epsg:4326"
     END
     CLASS
          STYLE
               COLOR 0 0 255
          END
     END

END

-------------------------------------
And here is the call from Mapserver as a client:

#####################################
# getWFS Layer
#
LAYER
  NAME "getWFS"
  TYPE POLYGON
  STATUS ON
  CONNECTIONTYPE WFS
  CONNECTION
"http://mapwfs.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=../mapfiles/map_files/wfs_test.ma
p"
  METADATA
    "wfs_typename"          "states"
    "wfs_version"           "1.0.0"
    "wfs_request_method"    "GET"
    "wfs_connectiontimeout" "60"
    "wfs_maxfeatures"       "all"
    "wfs_srs"		    "epsg:4326"
  END
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END
  LABELITEM STATE
  CLASS
    NAME "States"
    STYLE
      COLOR 80 80 250
      OUTLINECOLOR 120 120 120
    END
    LABEL
      COLOR 0 0 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 200 0 0
      SIZE 20
    END
  END

END
------------------------------------
Here is the error I receive:
msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'getWFS'.
msOGRLayerInitItemInfo(): OGR error. Invalid Field name: STATE

If I leave the LABELITEM off the layer draws fine (with no layers).  The
shapefile used by the WFS server does have a "STATE" attribute.  I have
tried replacing "STATE" with "all" in the gml_include_items with the same
result.  Looking at the GML produced, thee are no attribute fields included
there.

If I access the WFS server directly using mode=map and include the same
label info in its mapfile, the labels show up fine.

What am I doing wrong that the attributes are not being sent by the WFS
server in the GML?

Chip Taylor