ARCIMS user question

Emil Zegers taatuut at CHELLO.NL
Thu Apr 27 13:11:24 EDT 2006

Hello Eric,

If I understand your wishes correctly, this can be done with 'only' MS4W.

You have various options:

1. In the map file use connnectiontype OGR and a dynamically build
"SELECT..." query with template variables where values from the dropdown are
put in. This query should run on the shapefile joined to the database table.
For example see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/ogr_howto/#queries-through-ogr-forma
t , paragraph 4.2 sample 4

2. Use only the database table: it then needs x,y coordinate columns in the
table so you can use it as a virtual data layer (VRT). Works for point
layers but also for line, polygon etc. layers. See
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialData
and http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html, use SrcSQL to generate the
desired layer result.

Or pull the data from a spatial database like ArcSDE, PostGIS, Oracle...

Although I don't have complete code samples I hope this gives you some leads
to follow.

A good place to start for info on using vector data with MapServer is
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data

Also search the mailing list archives for more info on join and vrt.

Regards,

Emil