Demo, Itasca coordinate system

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Thu Aug 3 15:55:20 EDT 2006

Bruno,

The Itasca demo is actually based on Itasca County Minnesota.

The data is in the projection UTM Zone 15 (north).  The epsg code is
26915.

The units for UTM are meters.  In UTM, there is a Northing value
measured from the equator and an Easting value measured from a central
meridian.  A 'false easting' of 500,000 meters is applied to ensure that
all values are positive.

Do a Google on UTM projections for more info.

David.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: UMN MapServer Users List
[mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Bruno Patini Furtado
	Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 2:33 PM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Demo, Itasca coordinate system

	Hi,
	I'm a bit confused with the EXTENT property of the mapfile of
MapServer Demo, the one that shows the Itasca village
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasca%2C_Illinois ). As it's possible to
see on wikipedia page the coordinates of this place are 41.974678,
-88.018513, being the X a negative number, as it's expected to all the
USA country.

	My question is: Why the EXTENT has two points of whose X
coordinates on both are positive numbers? Which coordinate system is
being used?

	Thanks for your time.

	--
	"Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open."

	Bruno Patini Furtado
	Software Developer
	webpage: http://bpfurtado.net
	software development blog: http://bpfurtado.livejournal.com