width property for points?

Mike Leahy mgleahy at GOLDEN.NET
Fri Aug 4 16:24:49 EDT 2006

Hello List,

I've been trying to see if I can style points with an outline that is
thicker than one pixel.  Firstly, I've found that I am not able to set
the WIDTH property of a style element using MapScript - is this a Bug?
The MapServer FAQ suggest the following for Polygons:

STYLE # solid fill
   COLOR 255 0 0
END
STYLE # thick outline (could use a circle symbol with size too)
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
   WIDTH 3
   ANTIALIAS TRUE
END

This works if I manually edit the mapfile, but since MapScript won't
save the width property for me (or ANTIALIAS for that matter), I had to
use the following approach:

STYLE
   ANGLE 360
   COLOR 210 247 247
   SYMBOL 0
END
STYLE
   ANGLE 360
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 255
   SIZE 3
   SYMBOL "circle"
END

I've tried similar methods for point symbols:

STYLE
   COLOR 0 163 240
   SIZE 9
   SYMBOL "tent"
END
STYLE
   SYMBOL "tent"
   SIZE 9
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 0
   WIDTH 5
END

I've also tried:

STYLE
   COLOR 0 163 240
   SIZE 9
   SYMBOL "tent"
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 0
   WIDTH 5
END

Unfortunately, nothing I do makes the outline around the point any
thicker than one pixel.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I know I
could just put a smaller symbol on top of another, but that only works
if a relatively symmetrical symbol is used (like a circle or star).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Mike