Java MapScript UnsatisfiedLinkError

Ryan Ollerenshaw ollerery at ENGR.ORST.EDU
Fri Aug 4 16:58:26 EDT 2006

Using this bit of code my java servelt reports that the mapscript has
loaded.

static {
         try {
             //System.loadLibrary("mapscript"); //load native library

System.load("/etc/tomcat5/webapps/my_test/WEB-INF/src/libmapscript.so");
//load native library
             System.out.println(" * mapscript native library loaded *");
         } catch (Exception e) {
             System.err.println(" * error loading native library *");
             System.err.println("Error is: " + e);
             e.printStackTrace();
         }
    }

although i am still getting a
UnsatisfiedLinkError: no mapscript in java.library.path when i reference
any of the mapscript functions for example:

mapObj map = new mapObj("/var/www/html/mapserver/htdocs/display.map");

Any ideas why this is?