Multiple user problem -- C# MapScript Web Application

Zhonghai Wang zhonghaiw at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 7 06:12:40 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I've developed a windows application with the C# MapScript, and this
application works well with all the common mapping functions. I am very
happy with the performance of MapServer. So I am now trying to migrate the
windows application to  a web application, here I have some doubts with the
migration:

1. for the windows application I use a singelton class to return the mapobj
for all the mapping API --  I've programmed a mapping class for mapping
functionalities, and this works well to store all the changes of a mapobj
during the mapping process. But if I migrate the mapping class to web
application, this singelton class should not be used, since there may be
hundred users, who are accessing MapServer at the same time. I am just
wondering how to solve this problem in MapServer?

In MapXtreme, this problem is solved with the use of MapXBroker, which is a
shared pool of MapX objects, does MapServer has any similar component?

2. Thread-Safety, I know this is not a new question, but it's important. In
the .NET application, how to solve this problem? use thread lock? (I am
programming with VB.NET)

thanks for any information about this topic.

zhonghai