mapfile in shift-jis, db in utf-8 question

Donal Regan donal_regan10 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Aug 8 05:38:49 EDT 2006

I have a map file saved as shift-jis which allows to me query some shape files that have attributes encoded in shift-jis i.e I can write a classitem in shift-jis encoded japanese and my map displays as I would like.

I now have a postgresql db encoded in UTF-8. I want to filter the data coming back but my column names are in UTF-8 encoded japanese. So when I set my FILTER to something like "内容=1" I get the folowing error:

Postgresql reports the error as 'ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 '

If I save my mapfile as UTF-8, no db error occurs, but now I can't match the attributes in shapefiles.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Donal