question on query

Manfred Meier m.meier at SPIEKERMANN.DE
Fri Aug 11 00:24:33 EDT 2006

Hi Albert,

about the query: your three input fields are named "SCT", "T" and "R".
They sit in a form named "the_map" (if you used this name). The GO
button is no submit button. It does not submit the form, it calls the
javascript function "SetSec()" if you clicking it.

This function gets the values of the three input fields and stores them
in three variables "s", "t" and "r". Then it redirects the browser by
setting ...location.href property to a new constructed url.

As you can see in Lawrence's original code, this url contains the
query-string for the mapserver like "[TWP]="+t where the value of "t" is
filled in. Sorry if this is trivial: the names in [] must match the
fieldnames in your data-source (perhaps dbf-file).

Yesterday I had a problem in my example to construct this query. Dave
Fawcett wrote on my mail the following example:

      http ... &qstring=([ZELNR]=1405)

I had some '-characters around it like qstring=('[ZELNR]'='1405')
  and got not the correct result. So you have to experiment a bit I think.

If you are unsure if your url is built correct you can do the following:
(from Lawrence's code)

   function SetSec(){
     var s = document.the_map.SEC.value;
     var t = document.the_map.T.value;
     var r = document.the_map.R.value;

     //Store the new URL into a vraiable and show it before sending it
     var u =
"/JasperMaps/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?&program=%2FJasperMaps%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmapserv.exe&map=C%3A%5CInetPub%5Cwwwroot%5CMapdocs%5CLandCorner.map&zoomsize=2&layers=ortho+Monuments+LandCorners+Water+Shields+Highways+Roads+County+Sections+Quarter+Towns+Township&mode=itemquery&mapext=shapes&slayer=Sections&imgxy=320+240&imgext=1680507.39+547052.00+1844030.00+680312.51&mapshape=&imgshape=&imgbox=&qstring=('[SECTION_]'='"
     alert (u);  // show it in a message box
window.parent.location.href = u;
}

Manfred