help: Mapserver cgi installation on remote web server (linux&apache)

Zenon Panoussis oracle at PROVOCATION.NET
Sat Aug 12 18:50:27 EDT 2006

Janeks Kamerovskis wrote:

> Up to now I just worked with windows servers, but now I need to install
> Mapserver cgi on remote  Linux and Apache.
> In windows I can just copy executable and libs to right directions.
> Is it possible to do it also for linux - upload required files to cgi-bin.

In theory you can do it, but in practice you'll probably run into a
pile of problems. mapserver depends on other programmes and libraries,
which will probably be missing on the target machine.

> Or I need to connect with web service provider for installation.

I'm guessing that you are wondering whether you can use a standard
webhosting account with mapserver. You'll probably make your life
much easier by going in the opposite direction, see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/hosting/

The best defence against logic is ignorance. The next best
is stupidity. Both can be used simultaneously.