help: Mapserver cgi installation on remote web server (linux&apache)

Zenon Panoussis oracle at PROVOCATION.NET
Tue Aug 15 12:09:46 EDT 2006

Janeks Kamerovskis wrote:

>>> Up to now I just worked with windows servers, but now I need to install
>>> Mapserver cgi on remote  Linux and Apache.
>>> In windows I can just copy executable and libs to right directions.
>>> Is it possible to do it also for linux - upload required files to cgi-
>> bin.

>> In theory you can do it, but in practice you'll probably run into a
>> pile of problems. mapserver depends on other programmes and libraries,
>> which will probably be missing on the target machine.

> How about compiling special standalone Mapserver cgi executable, where all
> libs included?
> Could it help in such case?

Yes, but it's quite a lot you'd need to put there, gdal, geos, proj, perhaps
pdflib, perhaps ming... You can't even be sure you'll find gd on the target
system. And I don't know how to build such a beast, so I can only suggest
you look at http://www.busybox.net/about.html and how they do it.

All in all, I think that *all* other solutions and workarounds are easier
than this. Change provider. Bribe your current provider to install what you
need. Run mapserver on a different machine than the website and transclude
the maps in the website. Run mapserver on a different machine than the
website and proxy the website from it. Any and all of these should be less
of a hassle than what you propose to do.