mapserver, gis questions

smithveg smithveg at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 14 04:59:29 EDT 2006

Dear,

I'm new to GIS (geographical information systems). I have to some research
on it. I found that the mapserver is the nicer one.
I'm happy to use, but i'm not understand how to start it.

Let me explain to you what i want to do:
I want to have a GIS support system, that could show the malaysia map. Then
it will allows the admin to add/edit the new location/information into the
map. I understand the PostgreSQL is the most suitable to support GIS. But he
database i gonna use is mysql because my hosting site never suppot
PostgreSQL. Is that possible to run in MySQL.

I have actually download the 'mapserver-4.8.4.tar' that's c++. I noticed the
main feature of mapserver could support php?

Before i start, can anyone answer me some question:
- what the programming language use in mapserver?
- what should i need if i'm using mapserver (any software or hardware)?

Your reply would be appreciated.
--
smithveg