mapserver, gis questions

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at FREE.FR
Mon Aug 14 05:37:05 EDT 2006

Hello,
MapServer needs gdal-ogr to manage several files format, proj4 for projection,
an other mandatory tools: GEOS, postgis, mysql, ...
It needs a web server (eg Apache) as well ;-).

You have two ways to use it. The first one is the cgi mode. The other one, as
you noted it, is mapscript. MapScript allow you to use the power of MapServer
with some script langage as PHP, java, C, Ruby, Python, ...

Mapserver can use a lot of file format to manage spatial data : shapefile,
PostGIS, MySQL (although the spatial support in MySQL is not as much powerful
as PostGIS), and a lot of other one, here a liste for raster format
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/formats_list.html and for vector format
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ogr/ogr_formats.html.

You can use mapserver with some framework, wrote in PHP/mapscript, to avoid to
write again all the interface : MapBender, MapLab, Cartoweb, ... which allow
user to edit (create, modify, ...) features.

About hardware, I am using 1Go of ram, and 32b installation on a 64b system,
P4 3 GHz- 64b. My distribution is a mandriva 2006. And it works fine.

Y.

--
Yves Jacolin
http://yjacolin.gloobe.org