How to determine map extent question?

Paul Maine(ATS) pmaine at AUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Aug 16 19:08:21 EDT 2006

I am writing a mapserver application that will geocode a street
address. I desire to plot a point in the center of the map( that is
the street address ) and then draw a concentric circle about the point
with a radius of 3 miles. How can I determine the extents of the map
so that I can request the appropriate size map? I desire the map
itself to be able to show local street names in a city.

Thank you in advance for such an active news list with excellent
advice and assistance.

Paul Maine