VS: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Extent of several (500+) TIFF images

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Thu Aug 17 02:38:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

Use "ogrinfo" utility in order to get the extents of your shapefile holding the tileindex. Usage is like this:

ogrinfo tileindex.shp tileindex -summary

The response will include an Extent -line, which can be copied and pasted to your mapfile, just remove extra parenthesis and commas.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________

Lähettäjä: UMN MapServer Users List puolesta: Bruno Patini Furtado
Lähetetty: ke 16.8.2006 15:30
Vastaanottaja: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Aihe: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Extent of several (500+) TIFF images

I'm using a layer of more than 500 tiff files containing DEM information of a great area. I have created a tile index of all these maps using the gdaltindex program to use as a layer in my mapfile. It generated a .shp file along with a .dbf as expected.

I'm having problems to find the proper EXTENT to my map file that will for the moment only use the layer described above. Is there any easy way to get full extent of these images or shapefile? The utility program gdalinfo gives me proper information to build the extent of a single raster file, but I'm not aware of a tool that gives this kind of information of a shape file.

I've tried to use OpenJUMP [http://openjump.org] to hover the mouse over the min and max points of the shapefile but I had no success using the coordinates it gave me.

Any suggestions?

--
"Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open."

Bruno Patini Furtado
Software Developer
webpage: http://bpfurtado.net
software development blog: http://bpfurtado.livejournal.com