Raster - TIF vs JPG

Roland Martin roland.w.martin at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 21 11:40:48 EDT 2006

"Tiled TIFF files with overviews pre-built are one of the highest
performance ways of serving large raster images."
From:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/?searchterm=raster%20tiff

Not sure what it means by 'overviews', though!

Presumably JPG images require decompression prior to creating the output
image, whereas TIFFs can just be read straight off.

Cheers,
Roland.

--
Please note my new email address. Use other addresses at your peril.