Raster - TIF vs JPG

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Mon Aug 21 11:52:22 EDT 2006

TIFFs w/ overviews provide efficient performance as the 'overviews' are the result of the GDAL utility gdaladdo, which (basically) creates snapshots of the TIFF file with a lower resolution, based on the scale(s) you choose.  So the TIFF draws quicker given a certain scale range, which eliminates the need to fetch the *actual* TIFF data at a, say, national scale.

So, a good option would be:

1./ use gdaladdo on each TIFF file
2./ use gdaltindex to create a tile index (shapefile) with file pointers to each TIFF
3./ reference the tile index shapefile in MapServer to display your TIFF data.

Also, see Chris Hodgson's presentation from MUM3/EOGEO 2005 for more info:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/conferences/MUM3/present/session2/hodgsonppt/view

..Tom

________________________________

	From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Roland Martin
	Sent: 21 August, 2006 11:41 AM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Raster - TIF vs JPG

	"Tiled TIFF files with overviews pre-built are one of the highest performance ways of serving large raster images."
	From: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/?searchterm=raster%20tiff

	Not sure what it means by 'overviews', though!

	Presumably JPG images require decompression prior to creating the output image, whereas TIFFs can just be read straight off.

	Cheers,
	Roland.