Raster Data Download

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Wed Aug 23 11:49:25 EDT 2006

Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good way to allow users to download raster
> datasets from a Mapserver?  I have tried using WCS requests but for
> large data areas at high resolutions the requests just take to long.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ryan

Not that this doesn't specifically relate to your question, but I have
built a CAD (AutoCAD) Client that talks to MapServer (as well as cached
tile sets) and can retrieve the data based on a Windowed extents request.

The trick is in knowing what the customer has available for viewing the
tiled data with.  Another routine in the CAD client also outputs the
World files for the tiled images after placement.  Using MapServer
allows for requesting only the resolution required for a particular
view, much quicker than using some big massive image every time you need
to look at a small area.

It all runs via the Internet as well.  No File management hassles
related to setting up file shares, etc.  Now if I can just figure out
how to set up an AutoLoader for the toolset inside of AutoCAD . . . .

bobb