Setting expiry date for a layer

Ludwig Max Brinckmann ludwigbrinckmann at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 24 12:20:25 EDT 2006

I have a map layer reading from a PostGIS database that is being populated
asynchronously through a separate process in the background.

My mapclient displays this data through a WMS request and merges it on the
fly (openlayers-like) with WMS layers coming from other sources. While most
of the layers are static (i.e. do not change over time), my PostGIS layer is
highly dynamic and displaying up-to-date information is crucial to the
application.

Currently, whenever refreshing the map image, the browser will simply fetch
the image again from the cache, meaning that the viewer displays old data.

Is there a way in mapserver to set the expiration time of the image
supplied, so that my mapping client would automatically refresh, rather than
reload the old image from the browser cache? (it is good enough for the
application to refresh every time, rather than only when Postgis has
changed, so simply setting the expiry time in the http header would be
great)

Ludwig