Remaining problem with PHP/Mapscript and PHP 5.1 as Apache 1.3 module

Armin Burger armin.burger at GMX.NET
Tue Aug 29 13:30:05 EDT 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if I am the only one having problems using PHP/Mapscript
with PHP 5.1.x running as Apache 1.3 module under Linux. The environment is

MapServer 4.8.x and 4.10 beta1&2, compiled from sources
Apache 1.3.33 / 1.3.34
Debian 3.1 / Ubuntu 6.06
PHP 5.1.x compiled from sources as Apache DSO

When loading the Mapscript extension, I get the errors

with Mapserver 4.8:
/usr/sbin/apache: symbol lookup error:
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/php_mapscript_48.so: undefined symbol:
php_sprintf

with Mapserver 4.10 beta:
/usr/sbin/apache: symbol lookup error:
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/php_mapscript_410.so: undefined symbol:
zend_register_list_destructors_ex

The error does *not* appear with either
* running PHP as CGI (both Apache 1.3 and 2)
* using Apache 2 (both CGI and DSO)
* using PHP 5.0.x (both Apache 1.3 and 2, both CGI and DSO)

Is there any chance that this problem might be solved or do I need to
move to Apache 2 when I want to use PHP 5.1 as DSO?

If it helps I can also put this into Bugzilla. I can also provide more
details if required.

Thanks for any reply, Armin