how to find bounding county for given long/lat?

Ravi ravikapoor101 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 11 03:40:47 EST 2006

Hi,

I have a situation where given a longitude/latitude, I have to find the
FIPSSTCO code of the county it is contained in. Now this is not exactly
reverse geocoding. The information is already there in ESRI shapefiles i
downloaded. Is there an easy way to do this?

Details: What I am really trying to do is when a user clicks somewhere
on the map (that gives me longitude/latitude), I want to show a set of
properties for that county in a table format (which is a simple sql
query to my database using the FIPSSTCO number). I just need to do the
conversion.

Thanks for your help
Ravi