alpha transparency and querymap

Jim White jbw2003 at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Dec 13 21:29:28 EST 2006

Steve,

First some of the mapfile:

 OUTPUTFORMAT
         NAME mypng
         DRIVER "GD/PNG"
         MIMETYPE "image/png"
         IMAGEMODE rgba
         EXTENSION "png"
         TRANSPARENT ON
 END

  LAYER
          CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
          NAME "counties_q"
          CONNECTION "user=postgres  dbname=mydb host=localhost"
          DATA "wkb_geometry FROM county"
          STATUS OFF
          TYPE POLYGON
          TRANSPARENCY alpha
          CLASS
               STYLE
             SYMBOL 'hatch-lines'
             COLOR 255 0 0
                   ANGLE 60
                   SIZE 10
               END
               STYLE
                  WIDTH 2
                  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
               END
               TEMPLATE "dummy.html"
          END
      END

Here's the PHP/mapscript for one of the layers that's used to display
items the user selects from a select box. The idea is to create a
transparent hatch pattern over a user created area of interest before it
is submitted. This is currently working with the maps we have but we
might like to add a satellite background or a shaded dem background,
which I imagine will look better in true color.

$this_layer = $map->getLayerByName('counties_q');
$this_layer->set('status', MS_OFF);
if (isset($key_counties)) $this_layer->set('status', MS_ON);
$layer_index = $this_layer->index;
for($i=0; $i<count($key_counties); $i++){
   @$map->queryByIndex($layer_index,1,$key_counties[$i], MS_TRUE);

and followed eventually by:

$queryimage = $map->drawQuery();
$queryimage->saveImage($maploc);

The counties_q layer will properly display in rgba mode if I just set it
to default and don't use the queryByIndex method to select particular
elements in the layer. It will also display properly in 256 color mode
using queryByIndex. However, when I use queryByIndex in rgba mode the
hatch pattern is not transparent and has the white background.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim White
Biodiversity and Spatial Information Center