Performance analysis and optimization of UMN Mapserver systems

Johann Zettel rastadisasta at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 12 03:06:18 EST 2006

Greetings people from the Mapserver list!

I am a geo-informatics student from Austria. In the next half year i will
write my degree thesis about UMN Mapserver systems. The topic will likely be
called as “Performance analysis and optimization of UMN Mapserver systems”.
In this study i will try to check many different adjustments in a network
lab without any influences which could sophisticate the result.
I will analyze:
•	Vector data in different formats:
		postgres, shape, dxf;
•	Data access
		spatial indices,
		query optimization,…
•	Mapserver with different operating systems
		Linux Debian,
		Windows Server 2003
•	Mapfile adjustments
		Anti-aliasing, outputformat,…
•	Mapserver access (maybe)
		mapscript, cgi,
•	Mapserver with different Hardware (maybe)

The tests will be
•	normal measurements of time and
•	stress- tests where I generate many requests in a fixed time.

After testing the systems I will analyze the results and develop some
optimization strategies.

And now my Questions:
•	Are there somewhere existing any publications or contributions about this
theme?
•	What is your opinion about these things? Have you tips or suggestions?

I will be very delighted if you can help me.

Best regards,
Hansi