[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapscript with php as apa che module

Antti Roppola Antti.Roppola at BRS.GOV.AU
Thu Dec 21 20:06:13 EST 2006

Gregor wrote:

> Reading those bugzilla entries, that's very encouraging. Thanks for pointing those out, Antti.

> Any "it works for me" with Unix, Apache 2 (thread or prefork), PHP 5  as a DSO, using a
> lot of PHP/Mapscript? Is there an "official" word on the stability of this configuration?
> Or am I gonna have to try it myself for a few days and post a "it seems to work for me"? :)

Once upon a time I deliberately build a 3.x release as a DSO and it worked.
Trouble is that it takes some load and circumstances to uncover any issues.
Things trucked along swimmingly for nearly a week when someone else started
using that particular dev system for testing. All of a sudden, it leaked and
lobotomised the whole server. Oops. (ignore install instructions at your peril)

I suspect that such circumstances would be much easier to induce if one was
deliberately trying to DOS the server or even on a heavily used production
system than on a sheltered dev system.

FYI Our prod system is Linux, PHP 4.x CGI and Apache 2 prefork.

Antti

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF).  The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material.  It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly.  Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF