Reading the Same Selection from PostGIS Twice?

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Wed Dec 27 15:43:57 EST 2006

I've got a situation where I'm pulling the same selection of US county
polygons from PostGIS in two LAYERs because I want filled polygons in a
separate layer than the polygon outlines. I can make this work by
defining the same DATA selection statement for each LAYER, but doesn't
this hit the PostGIS server twice? Is there a way to select the geometry
from the database once and then split the selection into separate
POLYGON type and LINE type layers within the MAP object?