Improve WMS Server Performance

Kyle Mulka mulka at UMICH.EDU
Tue Feb 7 01:32:27 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>The short answer is that you should convert the data to an
>internally tiled format, and then build overviews.
>
>eg.
>gdal_translate -co TILED=YES your.tif tiled.tif
>gdaladdo tiled.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256

That seemed to work pretty well after I first converted my jpegs to
geotiffs using gdal_translate. It didn't work at all (took hours) trying
to go directly from jpeg to tiled tiff.

Now, I'm having a problem at the borders of both the original tiles and
the rended tiles from mapsever:
http://maps.kylemulka.com/spot/

You should notice that the initial map you see when the page first loads
looks fine. Then, zoom out and you will see two white lines. Any way to
fix that?

I used gdaltindex to create a shapefile which I then put into my mapfile:

MAP
    NAME "SpotAerialImagery"
    IMAGETYPE jpeg
    EXTENT -180 -90 180 90