OracleSpatial and polygons crossing the antimeridian

John Cartwright John.C.Cartwright at NOAA.GOV
Tue Feb 7 10:55:37 EST 2006

Hello All,

I have a single polygon in oracle spatial (10.1) which crosses the
antimeridian.  Displaying this polygon in an unprojected map (WGS84),
shows the polygon incorrectly stretching across the globe in the
longitude coordinate.  This is not entirely unexpected.  However, when I
switch to an orthographic projection, I don't see the polygon displayed
at all which suprises me.

This looks like a symptom of bug 411 which was marked as resolved.
Oracle itself seems to be treating the poly correctly since the geometry
validates and a SDO_FILTER query returns the correct results.

Should mapserver be able to handle polygons which cross the
antimeridian?  I'm using mapserver 4.8.1 and the oraclespatial
connection type.

Here's the definition of the polygon in question:

SDO_GEOMETRY(
   2003,
   8307,
   NULL,
  SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1, 1003, 1),
  SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(170, -10, -170, -10, -170, 10, 170, 10, 170, -10)
)

Thanks!

-- john