experience with DWG files?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Feb 8 11:54:32 EST 2006

On 2/8/06, Bud P. Bruegger <bud at comune.grosseto.it> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I noted that via OGR, Mapserver should be able to work natively with
> AutoCAD DWG files.  There was some mention on limitations in the OGR driver
> description.

Bud,

I'm afraid this is currently an out-only driver.  That is you
can use ogr to convert to DWG format, but not to read it.
That was the client requirement and reading was quite alot of
extra work.   So I don't think it is much help for you.

> Considering that AutoDesk is involved with the Mapserver Foundation, is it
> reasonable to expect that DWG support will become more evolved in the
> future or is the impedance-missmatch between the CAD and GIS world going to
> cause remaining difficulties?

My understanding is that the DWG support code at Autodesk is
closely integrated with alot of the rest of AutoCAD and isn't likely
to be open sourced due to complexity.

Best regards,