[UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] OracleSpatial 10i GetExtent slow

Benedikt Rothe umn-ms at HYDROTEC.DE
Fri Feb 24 10:48:47 EST 2006

> Hallgren Johan E wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have used the mapscript function getExtent for a layer, to get the
> > extent, that one was slow. Do you mean that the msOWSGetLayerExtent
> > would be faster?
> >
> > Could it be possible to change the logic so the function I need would
> > run the msOWSGetLayerExtent instead?
>
> Johan / others,
>
> I'm no expert on this area of the code, but it definitely seems like we
> ought to offer a mapscript mechanism that works like
msOWSGetLayerExtent,
> using layer metadata if available.
>
> In the meantime Johan, if you already know your extents (as you would
have
> to for setting up OWS metadata on a layer) you could just modify your
> mapscript application to hardcode the extent or perhaps to pull it
manually
> from layer metadata.

I think the Discussion "PostGIS and MapScript getExtent() function"
from july 2005 is related to this question.
Examples:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user/12099
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user/12100

The Oracle-Metadata in USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA is used by the
Oracle-Spatial-
Indexes. Users cannot add features outside this extent (without asking the
DB-Admin
to expand these values).
Therefore this extent will often be *much* bigger than the extent of
existing real data's (and is often useless as an initial-extent for a
web-application).

Benedikt