Serving ECW's with Mapserver 4.8.1

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Fri Feb 24 15:55:04 EST 2006

Ajay,

  Try adding the following to your LAYER definition for the ECW files:

    PROJECTION
      "AUTO"
    END

  Assuming that:
    1. your ECW file has a coordinate system definition
    2. you have GDAL with ECW capability linked in to mapserver
    3. your map file EXTENTS and UNITS are set so the mapserver generated
graphics geographically overlap your ECW file,

  then you should get the ECW contents rendered into the output image.

You mention that you have many ecw's across zones 54 to 56.   If you've many
ecw files, you'll likely want to create a TILEINDEX layer to access them.
And in that case you'll actually have to create one LAYER definition (and
one TILEINDEX) for each zone.  And you may need to explicitly state the
coordinate system in each layer:

    PROJECTION
     "proj=utm"
     "zone=54"
     "north"
     "datum=WGS84"
     "no_defs"
    END
(you'll need to find out which datum or ellipsoid to use).

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta