ECW Support {Scanned}

Siki Zoltan siki at AGT.BME.HU
Wed Jan 4 18:37:21 EST 2006

Hi Lawrence,

I have FW Tools0.9.8 which has gdal 1.2.6, and I have ms4w with the same
gdal version.
ECW is supported in this version, try to start gdal_translate.exe without
any arguments at the command prompt.
The supported formats will be listed, look for ecw.
In case of my ms4w 1.2.2 you can find gdal utitilities in
\ms4w\gdal-ogr-utils dir but the neccessary dlls are in the apache cgi-bin
directory. You must copy the gdal_tranlate to the cgi-bin dir or
copy the dlls to the windows\system32 dir.
I've downloaded an ecw file and I could get gdalinfo on that file.
So, first check wheather ecw is supported by gdal, then try
gdalinfo.
If ecw is supported but gdalinfo fails on your file then your file
probably is corrupted.
I also use gdal_translate to translate ecw to png without any problem.

Bye
Zoltan