converting shp to tab loses projection

Xin crazygecko at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 9 06:18:34 EST 2006

Hi list,

I have a shapefile containing points in the UK.  I need the file in MapInfo
TAB format.  After converting, the projection seems to have been lost.

I have tried various ways of reprojecting in the hope the final TAB file
will have them, but none seem to work so far.

I have created a VRT file for the shapefile, with projection specified as
<LayerSRS>WGS84</LayerSRS>.  Converted to tab file using the command
'ogr2ogr -t_srs "+init=epsg:4326" sample.tab sample.vrt

epsg 4326 is latlong WGS84.

This didn't work.  Neither did specifying the full datum for latlong WGS84.

I then tried to convert from shp to tab and reprojecting at the same time.
And then I tried to reproject the shapefile to shape again, then convert
this shape to tab.  None of these attempts worked.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Cheers,
Xin