Legend Labels offset down.

Bonnie Stewart Bonnie.Stewart at DLI.WA.GOV.AU
Wed Jan 11 00:08:59 EST 2006

I was having the same problem - what worked for me was to reduce the KEYSIZE for the legend down to the same size as my point symbols (10 x 10 pixels). My legend is very simple though (not many symbols and all roughly the same size), so I'm not sure if it would do the trick in a more complex situation.

Cheers,

Bonnie

__________________________________
Bonnie Stewart
Research Officer
Satellite Remote Sensing Services
Information Access Division
Department of Land Information
65 Brockway Road, FLOREAT WA 6014
Ph. (08) 9387 0342 | Fx. (08) 9383 7142
bonnie.stewart at dli.wa.gov.au
www.dli.wa.gov.au

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of Ken Lord
Sent: Tue 10/01/2006 9:24 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Legend Labels offset down.

Legend Image label offset problem revisited from December ...

The LABEL OFFSET parameter appeared to have helped fix the problem of
mis-positioned labels in my legend image however the amount of the
erroneous offset depends on how many layers i have turned on. The more
layers turned on, the further downward my labels are offset relative
to their symbols.

So a constant correction value in the LABEL OFFSET parameter to nudge
the labels back up only works up to a point.

Are there any other suggestions out there ... or dare I risk
submitting another bug report that I may not be able make both
transferable and repeatable for our happy developers to dig into?

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC

On 12/13/05, Ken Lord <kenlord at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, The offset parameter did the trick.
>
> I see what you mean by consistancy, the same font behaves fine on my
> home system.
>
> Ken
>

> On 12/13/05, Steve Lime <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> > You see that offset with some fonts. I'm not sure why and it is not consistent. It could be problems in the way GD is interpreting font metrics or problems with the font file itself (they are not all created equal). Could even be a MapServer bug but if so I would expect a more consistent problem. Anywho there is an easy workaround. Use the LABEL OFFSET parameter to nudge them up a bit (e.g. OFFSET 0 -2).
> >
> > Steve

> > Hi List,
> >
> > In my legend image (not an html legend),  with mapserver 4.8b2 CGI,
> > the labels for the features in the legend are being placed to the
> > lower right of the legend icon, instead of directly to the right.
> >
> > This position has the appearance of the default lower right labelling
> > position for features on the map,  but of course makes the legend
> > impossible to read, with all the text offset down, next to the wrong
> > legend icon.
> >
> > I've confirmed this by setting the Y spacing in the legend to a large
> > value to space it all apart.
> >
> > I've tried using POSITION cr  within the label object of my legend in
> > my mapfile, but it does not help (and was not needed in the past
> > versions).
> >
> > Am I missing something in my settings, or is this possibly a new bug?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ken Lord
> > Vancouver BC

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use of the addressee(s).  It may contain information that is confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure, distribution or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you receive this in error, please notify the author by Return email to the sender.  Information in this message not relating to the official business of DLI shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.  While every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses.  DLI liability is limited to re-supplying affected attachments.

PLEASE NOTE: All dola.wa.gov.au and vgo.wa.gov.au email addresses will soon be decommissioned. These have been replaced by dli.wa.gov.au addresses. Please ensure that your records are updated to reflect this change.  Further information can be obtained by contacting our service desk on 92737533 or emailing Servicedesk at dli.wa.gov.au