"Geospatial Foundation" Meeting

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Wed Jan 18 15:52:43 EST 2006

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I second Gary. If I want to say something to the founding meeting it is
> that please remember the education world. I believe how lecturers and
> professors present software to students and what software is used has a
> very important effect on how they view them in the future.
>
> Also if research results are implemented as FOSS (e.g., add-ons to QGIS
> for example), that is important from the point of view of advancing the
> whole culture of FOSS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari Jolma

Thank you Ari and Gary. This should be something that the foundation can
help foster. In return a group of universities could provide for a
distributed network of geospatial services and give the developers
access to maintain the code.
Basically this is already happening a grassroots processes all over the
place and a foundation would only help to make it a lot more efficient.

Please consider of subscribing to this list and further discussion there.

Best regards,
Arnulf Christl.