scaling maps

Mark Wright sparkymeister at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 23 01:52:14 EST 2006

I'm having issues with the image quality of my maps. I am using topo
maps which come in indexed color tiffs (from casil -
http://gis.ca.gov/). When zooming in the maps lose quality as the fine
lines become dotted and the text becomes nearly unreadable. This is
because it resizes the tiffs without first converting them to rgb
color. If I take one of the tiffs and put it into a graphics program,
convert it to rgb and then scale it down the image qualty is very good
(of course the geographic headers are lost). Is there anything I can
do in mapserver to get these results?

Mark