Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Jennifer Zeisloft jzeisloft at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 23 21:59:53 EST 2006

Greetings All,

We have been noticing that some (but not all) WMS raster images look pretty
terrible (extremely low resolution compared to what they should be) when
added to our MapServer application.  For instance, from TerraServer (
http://terraservice.net/ogcmap.ashx), USGS Digital Ortho Quads are virtually
useless regardless of scale, while USGS DRGs look decent.  Daily MODIS
imagery from NASA JPL World Map Service (http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?) has
also typically been a problem.  And there are others...

I have recently been playing with GDAL to display our own rasters, but also
partially with the hope that it might somehow magically fix this problem (of
course it hasn't).

I am wondering whether the display problem is local or if it is on the data
custodian's end, and whether this is typically the case.  Is there any way
to correct it?  If it is at the custodial end, what might be done
differently to increase the display resolution for WMS clients (so that we
don't make the same mistake)?

I really appreciate any hints or ideas you can offer.

Thanks much!

Jennifer Zeisloft
UW Sea Grant