Image tilling

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Mon Jul 3 09:02:32 EDT 2006

Ryan,

There may be additional issues, but if you are not explicitly calling
this layer by name in the URL or post request, you need to set the layer
status to DEFAULT to make the layer visible.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ryan Ollerenshaw
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:10 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Image tilling

What I am trying to do is to georeference aerial photos of a large area,
eventually the entire earth.  So what I need is to be able to specify
the lat/long of each photo (which I have) using only the lat/long
coordinate system.  I would like the user to be able to specify a
bounding box (lat/long) for a given area then have my mapserver return
all the available images for that given area.  Currently I think that I
can use:

gdal_translate -a_ullr 180 0 210 -30  thm_dir_N-30_180.png
thm_dir_N-30_180.tiff

To georeference all of my photos, then:

gdaltindex thm_dir.shp *.tif

To create a shape file with an index of all the photos, then I can
specify my layer in the mapfile as:

LAYER
  NAME "tileindex"
  STATUS ON
  TILEINDEX "thm_dir.shp"
  TILEITEM "Location"
  TYPE RASTER
END

But when I display this layer in MapServer I get a blank image,  and
when I try to view the shape file in ArcMap I can see my tiles but they
are just displayed as blank polygons with no images.  I think that my
problem is incorrectly specifying the EXTENT in the map file, but i am
not sure what i should put if i want my tiles to eventually cover then
entire world.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Here is my entire map file incase that helps any:
NAME WMSDEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 500 400
#EXTENT 0 0 2800 2800