tile index for large amount of shp

Sun Jul 9 09:09:34 EDT 2006

Hi Giuseppe,

Yes, a tileindex is exactly what you need here. It will improve
performance and significantly reduce your mapfile layers.

Try this:

ls map*-streets.shp > streets.in
tile4ms streets.in streets-idx
shptree streets-idx

and in your mapfile replace ALL you map*-streets layers with a single

Layer
name ...
tileindex "streets-idx"
# no data statement
end

Do the same for the other layers. So you have a tileindex for each
theme. And make sure all files have .qix spatial indexes for performance

for x in *.shp ; do shptree $x ; done

And enjoy :)

There is one caveat and that is the all map*-streets.shp files must have
the same attributes defined for a given tileindex and the attributes
must be in the same order within the files.

-SteveW