[SPAM] Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] National Atlas Projections... driving me crazy!

Kelly Koehn kkoehn at ASPIREDILLUSION.COM
Tue Jul 25 00:22:02 EDT 2006

Tyler:

Thanks for the prompt response.

LCC may be the incorrect projection that I need to use but it seems to be the only projection that I can find that gives me the counties in the correct (porportional sp?) size.  In the end I would really like to use a Mercator projection but alas I couldn't find any examples to figure out how to make it work.

The specific National Atlas data I'm using is here:
http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/nationalatlas/countyp020.tar.gz

According to the text file that came with the data they give the following information about the data:
    Latitude/Longitude Resolution: 0.000278
    Geographic Coordinates: Decimal Degrees
    Datum: NAD83
    Ellipsoid: GRS1980
    Semi-major axis: 6378137
    Denomiator of Flattening: 298.257222

Like I said, so far I've been able to get it to produce a map in LCC but its only because I've been playing around with the settings to 'make' it work.  There is a sample map available here: http://www.aspiredillusion.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=fmfinder.map&mode=map

In the end my goal is to be able to specify a specific latitude/longitude as a center and be able to plot out so many degrees, miles, whatever out to make a complete map for another project (hence why I think the Mercator projection would be best).

If any of this makes any sense at all let me know because I feel like I'm rambling! :)

By the way... another person suggested to use the EPSG codes... unfortunately my installation is not too happy with using those.  It keeps giving me a Proj.4 error basically saying it can't find the file even though they are located in /usr/local/share/proj.  For now I've just substituted in the definition (or is this bad?)

Here is a copy of my map file:

MAP
        NAME USA
        STATUS ON
        IMAGETYPE PNG
        SIZE 400 400
        IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
        SHAPEPATH "/home/aspiredillusion/cgi-bin/gis"
        SYMBOLSET "symbol.ref"
        FONTSET "font.ref"
        extent 2086624.47 2893493.42 2267537.24 3111554.05
        UNITS METERS

        PROJECTION
                "proj=lcc"
                "ellps=GRS80"
                "datum=NAD83"
        #       "lat_0=38"      # Latitude CENTER
        #       "lat_1=38"      # Set same as lat_0
        #       "lon_0=-90"     # Longitude CENTER
        #       "x_0=-80000"    # Offset for longitude
        #       "y_0=175000"    # Offset for latitude

                "lat_0=24"
                "lat_1=50"
                "lon_0=-99"
        END