minimal Linux version required.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Jul 25 21:43:08 EDT 2006

J-G Hasbani wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I am considering to buy an old server in order to run MapServer.
> The server has the following characteristics:
>      *Red Hat Linus 6.0 for x86 compatible
>      *Linux kernel 2.2
>      *glibc library
>      *Appache 1.3.6
>
> Is it possible to install (and run) MapServer with this version of Linux?

Jean,

MapServer will definitely run on this configuration.  It is vaguely
possibly you might run into some quirks building some of the recent
versions of libraries that MapServer depends on but that should be
fairly easily dealt with.

You might be a bit wary about security bugs in older versions of Linux
like this though.  Not that I'm specifically aware of any.

Best regards,