mapserver vs. google maps - any comparisons done?

Tue Jun 13 16:50:46 EDT 2006

You can have your open source and eat it to. Have you checked out ka-map?
(see www.maptools.org) It give's you a google-like UI with your own data.

Your own data is the key...

Steve

>>> "Sims, Benjamin" <B.Sims at UNESCO.ORG> 6/13/2006 11:49 AM >>>
Thanks for the quick reply,

I should clarify that the 'data' is barely even in a GIS format - the
geo element is only a latlong point attached to a particular record.
(although a will also have to plot grids, which I imagine will take more
work).

As I understand it, Google Pro is the advanced version of Google Earth
(their whizzbang flying-around browser thing) rather than Google Maps
(the simple flat maps) and is probably overkill is this case.

Ben