Character set encoding problem

Øyvind Eide oyvind.eide at MUSPRO.UIO.NO
Thu Jun 15 08:33:34 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:04:58PM +0200, Erik Baluba wrote:
> Hi Øyvind,
> >I have data in an Oracle 10gR2 database in ISO-8859-1 encoded columns
> >(WE8ISO8859P1) and the names of my geometries appear correctly in a
> >sqlplus search. But on the test mapserver PNG all characters beyond
> >decimal 127 (such as æøå) come out as '?'.
>
> What is the NLS_LANG setting on the oracle client computer running your
> webserver?  If it is a Norwegian or English Windows the codepage is WIN1252
> and your NLS_LANG would be something like Norwegian_Norway.WE8MSWIN1252. If
> so I see nothing wrong with your setup because character encodings for
> 'æøå' are the same in both ISO-8859-1 and WIN1252. Still, you can try to
> set the ENCODING to CP1252 in your mapping file to see if it helps.

Thank you Eric!

The web server is running on a RHEL linux box. By adding the line

SetEnv NLS_LANG "norwegian_norway.we8iso8859p1"

to the apache conf file (in our case an extra httpd.conf file read
after all the standard ones), the character set was fixed!

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide