Thread-safety in mapscript_csharp.dll?

Jeff Dege jdege at KORTERRA.COM
Fri Jun 23 11:09:33 EDT 2006

I'm just beginning with mapserver, and I'm evaluating different
possibilities.

In our shop, Windows/IIS/ASP.NET/C# would be the preferred approach.

Using the compiled ASP.NET 1.1 DLLs from MS4W, I've had no difficulty
getting mapscript_csharp.dll to work.

But the docs are full of warnings about lack of thread safety.  The
installation instructions for PHP_mapscript indicate that PHP should be
installed to run in CGI mode, rather than in ISAPI mode, so that a
separate instance of the mapscript DLLs are loaded for each request -
because the mapscript DLLs aren't threadsafe.

I'm assuming that the problem is still there when using the C# wrappers.
Is there something I need to do, when using mapscript_csharp.dll from
IIS, to prevent this problem?  Something I need to set in the
configuration or the code so that the ASP.NET pages are run as CGI?

I'd really hate to waste too much time building on top of
mapscript_csharp, only to find that it won't work reliably once multiple
users start accessing it.

Answers, or pointers to docs, would be appreciated.

Thanks.