Oracle Spatial query problem

Mark Adams Mark.Adams at DPRA.COM
Wed Jun 28 11:35:50 EDT 2006

We're working with mapserver and PHP mapscript, we have a build of
mapserver that supports Oracle Spatial. We're using Oracle 9i. Mostly it
is working fine, however we have discovered a fundamental problem, not
sure if this is a know design limitation or not. When we query a layer
that has the connection type "ORACLESPATIAL", if any of the queried
fields has a field VALUE length > 256 characters in any of the queried
records, we get the following error:

"<b>Fatal error</b>:  [MapServer Error]: msOracleSpatialLayerGetShape():
Error: ORA-1406: fetched column value was truncated  . Query statement:
SELECT Field1, field2, field3, Field4, field5, field6, Field7, field8,
field9, Field10, field11, field12, GEOM FROM MyTable WHERE Field1= 9506
.Check your data statement."

This error appears on the line:

$oShape = $Layer->getShape($oRes->tileindex,$oRes->shapeindex)

Note that it doesn't matter what the actual field length is, if a field
is defined as varchar(4000) but the field value is only 250 characters
it will work, but as soon as the value is greater than 256 characters it
fails.

Is this a known limitation, or a bug? I'm hoping it can be resolved,
because if not it will blow up what was looking like a fine solution.

Thanks all.

Mark Adams

Senior Analyst & Project Manager

Cuesta Systems (DPRA Canada)