Mapserver/GD JPEGs

Stephen Davies sdc at SDC.COM.AU
Thu Jun 29 03:08:04 EDT 2006

Thanks Blaise but my map file already had that entry.

The actual solution is to turn off interlacing as suggested by Jeff
Hoffmann.

Cheers,
Stephen

Le Mardi 27 Juin 2006 08:35, Stephen Davies a =E9crit=A0:
> Last week I posted a request regarding comments in JPEGs and their
> apparent effect on Motorola 3G telephones.
>
> Since then I have found that a) the issue seems to affect all WAP
phones
> and b) it is not just comments that cause the problem.
>
> It seems that these devices can only handle very simple images and
those
> generated by Mapserver/GD fall outside their capabilities.
>
> I have found that, as well as removing the comments from my map
images,
> I have to go further.
>
> My current work-around is to use a PERL script to generate the map
image
> to disk and then use the mogrify utility from Image Magik to "clean"
> it. The mogrify command is simply:
>
> mogrify -quality 100 image.jpg
>
> but whatever this does to the image is enough to make it displayable
on
> a telephone when sent as an img src=3D.
>
> If anybody knows more about what is happening here and/or what the
> underlying problem is, I would love to hear it.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen Davies

Hi Stephen
Is it working ok with quality 100 jpeg images ? In this case, you could
for=
ce=20
mapserver to create quality 100 jpeg images with the QUALITY parameter.
Che=
ck=20
this doc :
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/outputformat/
Regards
Blaise

This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83