new mapserver site for Central America; thanks for all the help!

Emilio Mayorga emiliomayorga at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 11 22:01:27 EST 2006

This site does not break any new ground with MapServer. In fact, I'm
still stuck with 4.0 b/c I don't have the time to upgrade. But I
really wanted to thank the community, especially Steve Lime, for the
excellent feedback I got over the last two and a half years while
building the site (it's been a labor of love), and the resources
available in the form of the mailing list archives, documentation, and
presentations from the conferences available on the web. I even got to
submit a feature request (regarding HTML legends) and saw it
implemented by Steve and Daniel Morissette (or Paul Spencer, I
forget)!

Our site uses Steve's javascript DHTML framework, and the layer tree
javascript code swiped from the Red River Basin site. If I can take
any credit, it's for integrating the two fairly closely and packaging
it all a bit more cleanly, in a separate .js file. It's also fully
bilingual, though the way it's done may not be the most elegant
(PHP/server-side scripting wasn't an option). If anyone is interested
in what you see there, please email me and I'd be happy to talk about
it.

Cheers,

Emilio Mayorga
Central American Ecology & Environment (http://garrobo.org/)

Mapache: New web mapping tool for Central America, focused on "Ecology
& Environment"
http://geo.garrobo.org/mapache/index.html

The CAEE/ACEA group (http://garrobo.org/) is pleased to present
"Mapache", an online mapping tool focusing on Central America. The
result of an all-volunteer effort, it is a GIS software framework for
presenting interactive maps covering all of Central America, using
free, open-source software. With this framework and with appropriate
geographical datasets (including real-time data), our goal is to build
applications focused on particular themes: ecosystems, biodiversity,
climate, geology, oceans, etc. We intend to make existing information
more easily accessible. Our first thematic application is
"Ecosystems": http://geo.garrobo.org/mapache/en/ecosistem.html. We
thank many groups that make their data freely available: universities,
non-governmental organizations, and national, regional, and
international agencies. We are especially grateful to the University
of Washington River Systems Research Group for donating the server and
bandwith. Mapache was developed through a collaboration between Emilio
Mayorga, Derek Parent, and Alexis Aguilar
(http://garrobo.org/members.html).

Please contact us if you would like to collaborate with us.