Problems displaying a very large polygon

Mark Leslie mark at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu May 4 19:15:52 EDT 2006

It will always run slow since it always needs to look at the entire
shape.  It will run even slower for areas with a great deal of detail,
such as the coastline in your example.  Tiling it will reduce the time
to find the appropriate section to render, but to speed the rendering,
you need to simplify your data for the desired scale so that you aren't
rendering dozens of points into a single pixel.  Brock mentioned the
PostGIS simplify function, which is what I typically use.
Mark